Getting out for that off-road drive or race is particularly enchanting. But one thing for sure that can spoil the whole fun is getting stuck. A WARN winch comes to your rescue when the call of the wild gets a tad wilder than you had anticipated. Since you would want to purchase the best of these winches, here is an excellent review of some of the best Warn winches.
Table of Contents
- 5 Best Warn Winch Reviews
- 1. Warn 89020 Vantage 2000 Winch – 2000 lb. Capacity
- 2. Warn 89030 Vantage 3000 Winch – 3000 lb. Capacity
- 3. WARN 26502 M8000 8000-lb Winch
- 4. Warn 87835 VR8000-s Winch with Synthetic Rope
- 5. WARN 86260 VR12000 12,000 lb Winch
- Warn Winches For Sale on Amazon.com
- How To Choose A Warn Winch
- The Advantages of Using A Warn Winch
- Things To Look For Before Purchasing A Winch
- The Best Way To Use This Winch
- Conclusion -The Best Warn Winch
5 Best Warn Winch Reviews
1. Warn 89020 Vantage 2000 Winch – 2000 lb. Capacity
Stylish, lightweight and efficient are the words that can get used to describe the Warn 89020 Vantage 2000 Winch – 2000 lb. Capacity. Most suitable for Powersports, and they come with an affordable price tag, that you don’t need you to break a bank to afford one.
They come with capacities ranging from 2,000 to 4,000 lbs, Smooth planetary gears and a powerful permanent magnet, therefore, can get relied upon in a tight spot. Besides, it is light in weight because the wire rope used gets manufactured using aircraft-grade materials or synthetic fiber.
Corrosion gets avoided by using a resistant finish and stainless still fasteners. Moreover, the clutch is designed excellently to inhibit rust, and the improved sealing of the winch helps to keep elements such as water, mud, and debris off.
Rope wear gets reduced by a redesigned powder-coated hawse fairlead. An efficient gear train and brake design make sure that controlling the winch is a piece of cake. It is a workhorse that will ensure your ATV, side by side and cash go to the next level.
- Light in weight
- Reasonably priced
- Great kit
- Easy to install
- Simple to use
- The free spool knob does not quickly engage and disengage as compared to the other high-end models
2. Warn 89030 Vantage 3000 Winch – 3000 lb. Capacity
The vantage 3000lb. Winch is an excellent choice if you need more power at a premium value to recover your vehicle and move around heavy loads.
Its salient features include a 50 feet 3/16 inch wire rope with a roller fairlead to power in or out the load. A three-stage planetary gear train that ensures a smooth and efficient operation of the winch, and a mechanical spring brake that controls it while winching. Additionally, it has a handlebar-mounted mini rocker switch with a corded remote control.
It also has a sealed motor that helps keep off elements, guaranteeing it a long life. Also, a fair plate is included together with a care instruction that informs you to inspect the rope for damage and if it is faulty, replace it immediately.
Just like the rest of the vantage series, it is light in weight, compact and durable. Can easily fit in your ATV and get carried around, giving you a piece of mind at a low price. It is aesthetically appealing with a new unique exterior styling and rugged design giving you a reassuring strong look.
- Compatible with others
- Powerful motor
- Excellent performance
- A corded remote control
- A sealed motor
- Fairlead plate
- Can get stuck in free spool.
3. WARN 26502 M8000 8000-lb Winch
Just like the rest of the warn brands, the WARN 26502 is a force to reckon with and gets designed compact with a powerful 4.8 hp series wound motor. It has a pulling rate capacity of 8,000 lb with a sliding ring gear free-spooling clutch.
This machine also gets designed with a low profile which fits well with a wide variety of trucks and automobiles. Moreover, a control box which is separate provides full range options for mounting. Of noteworthy is the efficient 3 stage planetary gearbox that makes it versatile.
An automatic direct drive cone brake system is what gets utilized in this gadget making it efficient in its operation. Last but not least is the electrical control box that makes it easy to use and a hand-held remote system which has 3.7 m lead, besides a 100ft 5/16 wire rope that powers load in and out.
Chip resistant powder coat finishes ensure durability, and on top of that, you enjoy limited lifetime warranty.
- Features an all-weather remote control
- Massive torque and power
- Enough mounting hardware
- Mounting is pretty easy
- A well-made control box
- Doesn’t chip
- Quality wiring
- Has a synthetic rope that is light, flexible and soft to touch
- Sometimes unreliable
4. Warn 87835 VR8000-s Winch with Synthetic Rope
This VR series beast enjoys unparalleled reliable performance with a capacity of 8,000 pounds that gives the needed torque and power. Due to its low-profile, it will fit perfectly well with most SUV’s and trucks. A separately removable control pack ensures various mounting options.
Controlling it is a breeze, thanks to the exclusive brake design which offers superior winching control. Also, a reliable, smooth and durable three-stage planetary gear train seals the deal.
Another salient feature that sets it apart from the rest is the 100 feet warn Spydura synthetic rope and a sleeve that is meant to protect it from wear and abrasion. This sleeve is made from ballistic nylon, thus ensuring durability. It also has a polished aluminum hawse fairlead.
It does not disappoint and lives up to the Warn family legendary performances and comes with a 12 feet rubberized weather resistant remote control and a full warn limited lifetime warranty.
- Easy to install
- Works well
- Remote controlled
- High power and torque
- Fair price
- Synthetic Rope
- Excellent quality
- The fairlead is not that great as it appears on the picture
- Does not come with a winch plate
- Not suitable for everyday use.
5. WARN 86260 VR12000 12,000 lb Winch
The VR12000 is a powerful and legendary winch with a commendable 12,000 lb capacity. It has a low-profile design, making it suitable for most SUV’s and trucks. Besides, the winch has its brake designed exclusively to give you a superior winch control in whatever circumstances.
A rubberized, ergonomic remote control with a pistol grip handle and 12 ft lead is also an essential addition. It will enable you to utilize the winch even under extreme conditions comfortably; its improved sealing allows it to be ultra-weather and mud resistant. Not to forget is the smooth, reliable and durable three-stage planetary gear train, to enable you to get out of that jam.
Though it is an entry-level winch, it delivers on its part. A case of an overkill here, you get the work done at a fair price. It has separate control packs meant for the various mounting options, and a series wound motor that provides lots of power and fast line speed if needed. Lastly, it comes with a full warn limited lifetime warranty.
- Works great
- Easy to install
- High power
- Fits well
- An ergonomic remote control
- Good quality
- Manual is not comprehensive
- Does not come with a winch plate
Warn Winches For Sale on Amazon.com
How To Choose A Warn Winch
- The formula: Choosing the right winch for your automobile can sometimes get stressful, but worry not. There is a simple formula that will help you decide which type winch to buy, whether you own a truck, a side by side or an ATV.
For a truck, the trick is simple; just multiply your vehicles gross vehicle weight rating by 1.5 to give you the minimum capacity of the winch to purchase. To get the GVWR just visit the truck’s website to find it out. You also got the option of going up in terms of capacity.
For those on the Powersports side, things work out a bit differently. For example, a smaller ATV that has less than 300cc needs a 1,500 lb. winch. Large ATV’s with more than 300cc need something like 2,500 lb. winch. A side by side would need a winch with 4,000lb capacity.
- Type of material used to manufacture the rope: A wire cord is more suitable in rough conditions that may get hard on a synthetic material, while on the other hand, synthetic is light in weight and is an excellent choice in mud situations.
- Kind of application: Folks who need a winch for industrial applications should better contact the WARN customer care for appropriate advice on the correct winch for their tasks.
The Advantages of Using A Warn Winch
- Efficient: It comes in handy when your car gets stuck in the mud, rocks or whatever place; they do provide leverage when pulling your automobile from a jam. Besides that, they are useful in aiding successful fording in deep muddy waters.
- Versatile: A warn winch can be used to remove fallen trees or logs that block your trail, position equipment, pull firewood and run the fence.
Things To Look For Before Purchasing A Winch
- Capacity: one of the important things to consider. Different vehicles need unique sizes and type of winches. Off-road enthusiasts need to consider the weight of their vehicle; winches get designed for different weights and sizes.
A point to note is, never purchase a winch with an exact rating to the weight of your vehicle. When an automobile gets stuck in mud or whatever place, it weighs more, so consider higher capacities than the vehicles weight to avoid disappointments.
- The winch variety: plays a pivotal role before purchase, for example, an electric winch is suitable to those needing the occasional recovery feature. The device can handle the most difficult situations.
For those that want hoisting capabilities, the hydraulic ones are the best bets and they are also durable.
- Application: An industrial winch provides the much-needed power and dependability in extreme situations.
The Best Way To Use This Winch
- Use protective clothing: Always wear a heavy jacket, tree limb or blanket when using a winch. These will protect you from harm should the winch line break suddenly and violently. Thick leather gloves, on the other hand, are equally important since they protect your hands from injuries especially when working with steel winch cables.
- Follow manufacturer’s instructions: Abide by them to the later to avoid mishaps.
Fundamentals of using a winch
- Read the manual: Before using your purchased winch, the rule number one is to read the winch’s manual supplied with the winch, to get acquainted with how it works. Check out all the safety measures and warnings.
- Get acquainted: Be familiar with how the winch works through practice. It could be around your homestead before using it on a trail. Take your time and always follow the safety recommendations from the manufacturer. Of equal importance is to make sure that the mounting system for the winch and the frame of your automobile can accommodate the rated load of your winch.
- Plan: Take time to plan how you are going to conduct the pull and operate the winch. Ensure that you have the right set of equipment and accessories to the kind of situation you are having at hand. As we earlier said, have the right set of clothing, i.e. the jacket and leather gloves. It’s you to operate the wire rope and remote control, and in case you have an assistant, have a look at the suggested hand signals for you to have smooth and precise communication.
- Ensure the winch is properly maintained and in good shape: Keep your wire rope lightly oiled to prevent rusting and corrosion. Of equal importance is to always keep the battery of your ATV properly charged and sustained, since the winch uses it during its operation. Lastly, use your good judgment to keep a safe working environment.
Conclusion -The Best Warn Winch
I consider WARN 86260 VR12000 12,000 lb Winch best in the Warn winch machines. It is a powerful and an entry-level winch, surely the perfect choice, and it provides the value for the money spent and is especially a welcome to those that need some touch of versatility.
Compared to its closest rival, the Warn 87835 VR8000-s Winch with Synthetic Rope, the features are the same excluding the synthetic rope. But its capacity makes it lead the other products among the best warn winches that we have reviewed.
Read More Winch Reviews: