Slippery, muddy and rocky terrains can be a constant source of worry for any off-road enthusiast. But with the existence of Viper winches, you will enjoy the thrill of the experience. High quality, dependable and durable are words that can describe viper winches. Manufactured by MotoAlliance in Minnesota, they appear to be growing in popularity. You can choose from one of Motoalliance three unique winch lines with pulling capacities of 2,500 – 6,000lbs.
Table of Contents
- 5 Best Viper Winch Reviews
- 1. Viper Max 2500lb UTV Winch with BLACK AmSteel-Blue Synthetic Rope
- 2. Viper Elite 3000lb ATV Winch with BLACK AmSteel-Blue synthetic rope
- 3. VIPER Classic 12000lb 4×4 Off Road Jeep Truck Recovery Winch with Steel cable
- 4. Viper Elite 5000lb ATV Winch with GREEN AmSteel®-Blue synthetic rope
- 5. Viper Elite 5000lb UTV SxS Wide Spool Winch with BLACK AmSteel-Blue Synthetic Rope
- The Two Main Series of Viper Winches
- How To Buy The Best Viper Winch For The Money
- How to choose a Viper winch
- Benefits using a Viper winch
- Things to consider before using a winch
5 Best Viper Winch Reviews
1. Viper Max 2500lb UTV Winch with BLACK AmSteel-Blue Synthetic Rope
The Viper Max 2500lb UTV Winch is an incredible winch for UTV’s, side by sides and ATV’s, due to its durability. This winch can be used for snow plowing and it is constructed with 3-stage steel gears and permanent magnet motors that are sealed.
It has a 1.0 hp permanent magnet, a 2500lb pull rating and low-amp draw engine making it reliable and easily gets trusted. Moreover, it comes with a 50′ x 3/16″ synthetic rope & aluminum hawse fairlead that prevents corrosion.
Other notable components include a cabled remote, a solenoid, handlebar rocker switch, 8ga wiring, and a line stopper. You can work with this winch without having a battery, by adding a 12v 50a Anderson connector to the front part and at the back of the hummer and then the winch gets mounted with a 6ga cable that plugs into the connector.
The winch is less expensive compared to other models and comes with a different blue synthetic rope. Not to forget; it arrives on time in an excellent packaging.
- Less expensive
- Instructions are a bit fragmented
2. Viper Elite 3000lb ATV Winch with BLACK AmSteel-Blue synthetic rope
Next up is the Viper Elite 3000lb ATV Winch with BLACK AmSteel-Blue synthetic rope. Though of a lower capacity compared to the others in the elite series, it enjoys the same functionalities and performance and gets used to the smaller vehicles such as the ATV’s.
It is fully sealed to put away any elements and has got a 1.2 hp permanent magnet 12v DC motor to power it; of equal importance is the mechanical holding and automatic braking system. These make the control of the winch easy.
It boasts of a 3 stage planetary gears that are sealed to prevent any elements from infiltrating it. Moreover, a 4T Snatch Block, line Stopper, handlebar rocker switch, wireless remote and contractor complete the look. It is a durable winch and can get used on your ATV, side by side or UTV. The parts used to mount it on your vehicle get purchased separately
- Well built and a good quality
- Instructions are clear and Straightforward
- Comes with a soft-line rope.
- Wiring instructions are not that clear
3. VIPER Classic 12000lb 4×4 Off Road Jeep Truck Recovery Winch with Steel cable
Up next is the great VIPER Classic 12000lb 4×4 Off-Road Jeep Truck Recovery Winch with Steel Cable. A true monster with huge amounts of torque, to get massive 4 by 4 trucks from tricky situations.
It is manufactured with permanent magnetic motors and fully sealed magnetic steel gears with an incredible power of 12000 lb. A perfect fit for heavy-duty work. It also gets designed with an 85′ x 3/8″ Steel Cable & Roller Fairlead guaranteeing reliability, since breaking such a rope is almost impossible.
It has a mounting pattern of 10″ by 4.5″ and includes a wireless remote switch and other accessories such as an 11′ Cabled remote switch, clevis hook and an integrated contractor.
It is manufactured using military grade materials, and the manufacturer has an ISO/TS 16949 certification, thus assuring you of the quality and durability of the product.
This winch is most suitable for jeeps, tow trucks, and all recovery vehicles. After purchasing, you get a limited warranty for one year. This caters for any malfunctions or breakages that may happen on the electrical and physical hardware’s. A toll-free customer care line that you can use when in need is also provided.
- Durable Hight quality
- Heavy duty
- Massive power and torque
- Good price for the quality
- Not all replacement parts available in the USA
4. Viper Elite 5000lb ATV Winch with GREEN AmSteel®-Blue synthetic rope
It comes when fully sealed, therefore, enabling you to go to any part of the world without worry. From the snowy peaks to muddy terrains you got covered.
This heavy duty and low-cost beast delivers the required service at a cheaper cost. It has a universal aluminum Hawse and fairlead mount which are rust-resistant. A wireless remote and rocker handlebar switches, rubber line stopper, clevis hook, 4T snatch block, hand saver strap and a waterproof cover are all part of the bargain.
Mounting it is a walk in the park, especially for winch ready machines or those that need flat surface installation. It is a reliable machine that has a standard mounting bolt pattern of 3.000″ * 4.875″. In addition, you get a limited lifetime warranty to cover you in the case of any breakage or malfunction.
- Complete kit
- Wireless remote that gets covered from elements
- Synthetic cable
- Easy to mount
- Cables are long enough
- Helpful installation videos provided by MotoAlliance
- A bit expensive
5. Viper Elite 5000lb UTV SxS Wide Spool Winch with BLACK AmSteel-Blue Synthetic Rope
Like its former sibling the Viper Elite 5000lb ATV, these machine is built to perform. The difference is that it has a wide spool and bolt pattern of 3″ * 6.67″ allowing it to get used in a variety of automobiles including the ATV’s, UTV’s and side by side and in severe conditions such snow.
A 3-stage planetary metal gear train and a 1.8 horsepower permanent magnet ensure reliable power and torque to accomplish the needed tasks. It also has a low-amp engine with a pulling rate of 5,000lb.
A point to note, the MotoAlliance winch mount plate kits that are used to mount the winch on your vehicle get purchased separately. Besides all Viper winches have some safety features that include an automatic and mechanical braking system that reduces the chance of rope creeping when power is applied.
A sealed solenoid, flush mount dash switch and wireless remote control, crown it all. Providing you with a secure working environment
- Excellent product
- Good service department
- Simple to install
- Wireless remote control
- Dynamic and mechanical braking system
- Weather-resistant cover
- Wide spool
- Synthetic Rope
- You have to purchase the mounting kits separately
The Two Main Series of Viper Winches
Viper Elite Winches
The Elite Series winches come standard with a wireless remote system and ¼”x40’ Synthetic cable. Elite winches are for those planning to get themselves into deep mud and high water. The gear housing on the elite winches is made from a single piece aluminum housing, which increases structural integrity, long-term water resistance.
Viper Max Winches
The Max Series offers a few more options in line pull capacity — adding a 3500lb, a 4500lb, and a 5000lb model. The Max Series winches come standard with a 9’ corded remote and 3/16th”x50’ Steel cable, which can be upgraded to Synthetic cable. If you’re not expecting to get into the deep stuff or if you don’t value the wireless system then a Max Series winch may be a low-cost option for you.
Viper Max Vs. Elite Series Winch Comparison
How To Buy The Best Viper Winch For The Money
To get the best UTV or ATV winch for the money, you have to consider the following:
- Suitability: Different vehicles have different requirements, therefore, choose a winch with a capacity that will suit your needs.
- Efficiency and performance: These are also very important consideration when acquiring a winch. Latest models such as the Elite varieties come with improved features and performance compared to their predecessors.
How to choose a Viper winch
Viper winches are among the elite winches that can get you out of any tricky situations. Be it a muddy or slippery inconvenience. Here are a few factors you need to consider before purchasing viper winches.
- Weight: First and foremost, you need to consider the weight of your vehicle. Buy a winch with a similar required capacity.
- Type of material used to manufacture the winch: Ability to resist corrosion by the winch gets achieved by the use of an aluminum casing. It not only increases structural integrity but it is also water resistant thus preventing rust. Choose winches that are water resistant to protect you when you are stuck in water paddles.
- Protective gear: Consider one with an abrasion guard. These will ensure that your rope lasts long.
- Control: A winch that gets accompanied with remote control is also a win for you, because, apart from making you’re winching a breeze, it allows you stay a safe distance from the cord, thus preventing fatalities if the rope snaps.
- Warranty: A lifetime warranty is also something you cannot scoff at; it will come in handy in the eventuality of breakage or malfunction. Some models do come with a one-year warranty on the cable giving you a cover in the event it gets damaged.
Benefits using a Viper winch
There are several accrued benefits when using a Viper winch.
- Smart technology: To begin with, the elite models come with a wireless remote control that has a higher frequency, thus preventing it from interfering with other wireless setups on the winch. They are also small in size and can fit well in your pocket or the designated storage compartment.
- Strong: Their tough single-piece gear increases the winch’s structural integrity making them durable.
- Conserves energy: some models automatically receive and remotely cut off power thus conserving the battery.
- Durable: Their weatherproof stainless steel motor terminal and fairlead hardware prevent corrosion. These will go a long way, by ensuring durability and minimal maintenance costs. Moreover, a weather resistant cover and a rubber line stopper keeps away unwanted elements.
- Versatile: These winches can get used in a broad range of activities, from pulling jeeps, ATV’s, side by side and SUVs to industrial applications. Moreover, they got tons of power and variations, therefore, can easily get suited to any situation. All you need to do is to look for an appropriate variety for your application.
Best practices when using a Viper winch
- Follow instructions: As it is with all winches, you need to follow the procedures found in the user manual and call customer support for clarification if you don’t understand any or seek professional assistance.
- Keep the machine in a good condition: Ensure that all the working parts are in great shape and well-maintained. For a smooth working condition make sure all the parts that need oiling get attended to using the correct oil.
- Protective gear: You also need to use protective clothing and heavy leather gloves; these are measures put in place in case of any eventuality. Also, don’t let that rope slide on your hands.
Things to consider before using a winch
Like any other machines, winches have some set of rituals to perform before use.
- Read the instructions: Get to know all the necessary hardware installation procedures. They enable you to have first-hand knowledge concerning the safety procedures you need to adhere to avert any disaster and also gives you directions on how to fix common problems that might occur.
- Assemble the required accessories: Confirm that you have the correct equipment for your winch and the situation at hand. For example, have the right mounting gear, rope, etc. to avoid any accidents while winching. Certain parts of the winch like the chord or rope should indeed get assessed first before use. If damaged, they should be immediately returned.
- Check the condition of the chord: The rope plays a central part in the pulling process. It resists all the tensional forces. A misjudgment regarding its state could cause it to snap.
The product that we consider top among our best Viper winches is the Viper Elite 5000lb UTV SxS Wide Spool Winch with BLACK AmSteel-Blue Synthetic Rope winch. This product is surely the perfect choice, as it provides the needed value for the cash spent and an excellent choice for those that need a touch of versatility and durability.
Compared to its closest rival, the Viper Elite 5000lb ATV Winch with GREEN AmSteel®-Blue synthetic rope, they have similar features. The only separating factor is that, the former has a wide spool, but both of them enjoy a high customer rating, indicating that they all satisfy their user’s needs. The capacity, durability and broad array of use apparently makes the former lead the other products among the best viper winches that we have reviewed.
Read more Winch Reviews: