When you are stuck, and you have a powerful winch to get you out of the predicament, you can safely assume that getting stuck is just part of an off-road experience. Smittybilt winches are easy to use and can be attached to anything with a firm support so that you be able to pull out yourself. You can opt for an electric or a hydraulic winch, but all this depends on preference and how much power is needed to navigate the terrain.
Table of Contents
- Top 5 Smittybilt Winch For Your Money
- 1. Smittybilt 97495 XRC Winch 9500 lb.
- 2. Smittybilt (97510) X20 Waterproof Winch 10000lb
- 3. Smittybilt 97412 XRC Winch 12000 lb.
- 4. Smittybilt 98495 XRC Synthetic Rope Winch 9500lb
- 5. Smittybilt 97415 XRC Winch 15500lb
- About Smittybilt
- Some of the Things to Keep in Mind
Top 5 Smittybilt Winch For Your Money
We have put a list of top Smittybilt winches, key features, strengths, and weaknesses so you get to know which one will work for you.
1. Smittybilt 97495 XRC Winch 9500 lb.
The 97495 XRC Winch with a power capacity of 9500lbs with a single line pulling capacity has an IP67 waterproof rating. The winch has a 4-way roller fairlead with a remote control unit. The inbuilt motor is a 6.6Hp series. The machine utilizes low battery power to work efficiently; the lead connectors are 12 foot long. The planetary gear is 3 stage train with a 161: gear ratio. It is one of the best winches that you can find in the market. It comes with an automatic drum brake. The wire rope is 93 feet. The product maker has a five-year warranty today with a stylish finish. The gear system functions as a sliding ring with a mounting clutch. Because of its reduced gear ratio, the winding speed is faster and can easily be controlled by the parking brake. It is one of the heavy duty winches that bring in performance and durability in a single operation.
- 100% waterproof as it can be used underwater
- The 500 AMP solenoid is state of the art
- Lifetime warranty on replacements and a 5-year warranty on electrical
- Has a faster-spooling rate
- Not made in the USA which makes it harder to get manufacturer support
- Does not come with a mounting plate
- The metal parts may get rusty
2. Smittybilt (97510) X20 Waterproof Winch 10000lb
For a long time in the off-road industry, the Smittybilt (97510) X 20 has been known for their characteristic bumper and armor. It has a waterproof rating of IP68 and 10000 pounds single line pulling capacity; the pulling can be controlled by remote control. It uses a braided steel rope that runs through a 4-way fairlead roller. The gear train uses a 3 stage planetary system with a sliding ring gear for the clutch system.
- IP68 rated meaning that it can be used in mud, snow or a flooded terrain
- Lifetime mechanical warranty
- Waterproofed solenoid
- Wireless controller may not work
- Difficulty reaching the warranty department
- Solenoid only having 2 screws
- May prove to be inconsistent when used regularly
3. Smittybilt 97412 XRC Winch 12000 lb.
The Smittybilt 96412 XRC Winch has a rated power line of about 12000 pounds with a standardized waterproofing level of IP67. The fairlead roller is a 4-way system. The motor uses the 6.6 HP series with minimum power requirements of 650 CCA. The lead power cables are 12 feet long. The clutch system has a sliding ring gear mounting. The braking system is automatic based on a drum technology. The machine has an elegant textured black finish. This winch is an updated Smittybilt winch that can operate in a demanding environment with guaranteed reliability
- The manufacturer offers a lifetime mechanical and a 5-year electrical warranty
- Waterproof rating of IP67
- Control box mounting solutions are weak
- The Mounting box cables easily dislodge from the control box
4. Smittybilt 98495 XRC Synthetic Rope Winch 9500lb
The Smittybilt 98495 XRC is the second series of the second generation that comes with great features and improved performance without compromising durability. This winch is rated at 9,500 pounds load capacity; this device should be a true recovery system that can take you out of any situation. The waterproof rating is at IP67 with a fairlead hawse. Has a single line remote controller that is used to control the 6.6 HP series motors. To start a winching operation, you need a minimum of 650 CCA of power from the battery. The great train comprises of a 3 stage planetary gear ration of 161:1. The clutch is a sliding ring gear mounting and a bolting pattern of 10 by 4.5 which can be used on many vehicles
- It is easy to install and use
- Waterproof rating of IP 67 means it can be used in harsh weather conditions
- Uses standard bolting pattern that many vehicles use
- Lifetime warranty on mechanical parts and a limited 3-year warranty on electrical components
- Proves to be inconsistent when used often
- The clutch lever can get stuck in neutral
5. Smittybilt 97415 XRC Winch 15500lb
The Smittybilt 97415 XRC Winch has a capacity of 15500 pounds on a single line pull with a remote control that has a 12 feet cable. The battery leads are more than three meters long. The 3 stage planetary gear ratio of 397:1 works together with sliding gear mounting clutch system to give all the power and speed during the winching operation. The cable runs up to 93 feet and is controlled by an automatic drum system. The state of the art synthetic rope gives this winch the ultimate pulling power. It has three mounting options that can be used in a variety of applications. It has a movable control pack that allows for increased airflow and gives more access to the control plug.
- Three mounting options that can be used in different cars and utilities
- The movable control pack allows for easy air flow in the radiator region when mounted on the front panel.
- Waterproof rating of IP67 which makes it suitable for harsh weather terrain
- Some modifications needed for proper mounting fit
For the last 50 years, very few brands in the off-road industry are struggling to match the Smittybilt legacy. Many customers see their products to be the number one rescue line that offers reliable and functional winches alongside reliable accessories. The company boasts of well-known innovation techniques that work well across all automobiles.
Benefits of Smittybilt Winches
- Most Smittybilt winches fit in well on most mounting and towing points making it easier to tag your vehicle along a harsh terrain.
- A winch takes the place of a towing vehicle by utilizing a winding motion through a pull in and out mechanism that uses less power with little human intervention.
- Smittybilt winches comprise of a reliable winch with a good spool and crank mechanism that can pull out your car regardless of whatever stands in your way.
- There are variety of winch with different load capacities suitable for hauling large trucks and machines
- A good winch will save you a lot of time and give you fewer worries when you have to wait for a rescue mission to locate where you are. You do not need assistance from anyone when you have a mounted Smittybilt winch
- The winches are made to handle the roughest and the toughest conditions because the construction materials involved are durable.
- When purchasing a Smittybilt winch, you will have an option of choosing from the commonly rated winches which could be in the ranges of 8000 and 10000 pounds.
The Product Advantage Warranty
The company offers a limited lifetime warranty on the mechanical parts with an extended five-year warranty on electrical parts. All Smittybilt winch products have passed the waterproof tests. The warranty gives you freedom of using the company product on any harsh terrain without the fear of breakdowns.
Some of the Things to Keep in Mind
Having introduced the Smittybilt winches, I thought it is better if we look at some of the things that may help you make an informed decision when looking for the best winch on the market today.
What Type of Winch to Choose?
A hydraulic winch is quite reliable if you plan to use it consistently over a short period. The reliable operations that a hydraulic winch gives make it a favorite among people who love off-road traveling. This hydraulic is also a good choice for a company that specializes in rescue operations on a daily basis. An electric system may be efficient, but one cannot be guaranteed to have the engine running when caught up in an emergency situation.
The Wire or the Synthetic Winch Rope
There is always the option available for one to be able to use the type of cable that suits their environment. The synthetic line is an excellent choice when you need little power and when you are also concerned with portability issues because of its light weight. A steel wire may prove to be strong but in the long run can be bulky when you need to carry around.
The material used to make a winch determines its versatility and durability. With outstanding features, such weather sealing ensures durability in all-weather situations. The duty cycle also depends on the source of power and the nature of the terrain. Look at the materials used in the construction of the winch because durable materials only mean that you will have a lasting machine.
The amount to be spent on a winch may limit the type and rating that you will get on a winch. Some winches are rated according to brand names, reliability, the materials used and to some extent market demand. It is a tricky affair to use the price of a winch to decide on the quality and efficiency. You may find a lowly rated winch with the best of features, and an expensive with that may disappoint you. Be on the lookout for market sales and offers before purchasing to take advantage of price reduction. You may be forced to spend more money on a winch when all you seek is reliability and high quality and features.
Availability of Parts and Accessories
When buying a winch ask if there is anything that you need as an accessory that may be crucial in the winch operation. Do you need gloves, protector strap, a snatch block or an appropriate toolbox for effective?
If you opt to buy a winch through an online portal like the Amazon, then do not forget to look at things like honest customer reviews and feedback from real buyers. Ask around and see if you can visit a nearby store and make inquiries about specific products
Why The Brand or Manufacturer is Important
Different brand makers have been known for winches that can be used in specific scenarios. Identify different brands that are in the market and try finding out why some are reputable and others are not. Look out for product reliability, after-sales customer relations, product warranty, etc.
To wind up, the size of a winch may be small but its pulling capacity may exceed your expectations. So when you want to buy a Smittybilt winch, do not look at the physical size without looking at other performance dimensions of each winch. When you decided to go shopping for the best Smittybilt winch, safety must have been one of your concerns. You may also need to ask yourself if the winch you are about to buy needs extra accessories to realize its full potential.
Today we reviewed five of the best-selling Smittybilt winches, and The Smittybilt 97415 XRC Winch wins in this category because of its versatility and the flexibility of the mounting box. With three mounting options, it means that whatever car you are using you will get to enjoy the full services of the best Smittybilt Winch in 2018.
Now take your time and go to the nearest store confident that the information in this review will guide you or check out more reviews here:
- SuperWinch Reviews
- Champion Winch Reviews
- Smittybilt Winch Reviews
- Mile Marker Winch Reviews
- Viper Winch Reviews
- Top 5 WARN Winches
- Best Winches